The SOS Helpline is available 24-hours, around the clock for those who want to speak with someone else who has breast cancer, those in need of information and help in understanding their breast cancer and for those seeking a caring, supportive contact. Any day, any hour of the day a caller in need can reach a trained peer counsellor. All helpline volunteers have been through their own breast cancer experience. They are familiar with informational and local resources, can help in the decision making process, are able to discuss good use of the health care system, can offer information about patient rights, and give encouragement and suggestions for the difficult, life changing diagnosis of breast cancer.
SOS invites you to visit the SOS Breast Cancer Lingerie Closet and UCD Resource Library. This is a collaborative cancer support service of SOS and UCD, available for all those with cancer and for those supporting someone with cancer. All items are without cost regardless of where a patient is or has been treated.
The SOS Lingerie Closet has a beautiful selection of new and gently-used items such as bras, breast forms, camisoles, hats, wigs and other miscellaneous items. When you find something you like, you are welcome to take it with you.
At the UCD Resource Center you may choose from any of the books, pamphlets, CDs, DVDs and publications on a wide variety of health-related topics. Donations of lingerie items, wigs, hats and library materials are greatly appreciated. We look forward to being of help to you.
Hours: Between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday
For more information, questions, or assistance please contact the SOS office at (916)786-HOPE (4673) or the SOS Helpline. To email a message please see the “Contact Us” section on this site.
ACS has a variety of support services for people recently diagnosed with cancer. These services include, but are not limited to the following:
- Look Good Feel Better Program teaches beauty techniques to women in active treatment to help them combat the appearance-related side effects of cancer treatment. They provide you with free cosmetic kits valued at about. $300 and skin care products. Women learn ways to cope with hair loss with the use of wigs, scarves, and other accessories.
- ACS will provide you with a free wig or will reimburse you up to $75 for a wig that you purchase.
- The ACS Personal Health Manager Kit is an easy-to-use tool designed to help patients organize and keep track of appointments, medication, test results, insurance, bills, and various other logistical and practical details associated with management of cancer care. The contents of the kit can be personalized to provide information and resources that help address the needs of a particular cancer patient or caregiver. It is available in multiple languages and it is free.
All services are available to anyone; there is no requirement to be low-income. Contact an ACS Cancer Information Specialist at (800) 227-2345 or http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/BreastCancer.
- Albie Aware - http://www.albieaware.org/
- American Cancer Society - http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/BreastCancer/index?ssSourceSiteId=null
- BC Mets.org - http://www.bcmets.org
- Breast Cancer.org - http://www.breastcancer.org/
- Cancer.Net - http://www.cancer.net/
- Cure - http://www.curetoday.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/magazine.show/id/15
- Healing Journeys - http://www.healingjourneys.org/
- Her2Support - http://her2support.org/
- Inspire - http://www.inspire.com/groups/advanced-breast-cancer/
- National Cancer Institute (breast cancer) - http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/types/breast
- National Cancer Institute's PDQ Clinical Trials Search - http://www.cancer.gov/clinicaltrials/search
- National Lymphedema Network - http://www.lymphnet.org/
- Navigating Cancer - Breast Cancer Blogs - https://www.navigatingcancer.com/explore/breast/blogs
- Save Ourselves Blog - http://saveourselvessacramento.wordpress.com/
- Susan G. Komen for the Cure - http://ww5.komen.org
- Top 10 Breast Cancer Blogs - http://www.blogs.com/topten/top-10-breast-cancer-blogs/
- Top 10 Cancer Treatment Centers in the U.S. - http://www.cancerlinksusa.com/centers.htm
- Young Survival - http://www.youngsurvival.org/